Qatari men may have coordinated with 9/11 terrorists: WikiLeaks cable
Three Qataris, aided by a man from California, conducted surveillance of future terrorist attack sites in the weeks before 9/11, according to a newly released US diplomatic cable from WikiLeaks.
(Page 2 of 2)
Dated to Feb. 11, 2010, the cable identifies three men – Meshal Alhajri, Fahad Abdulla, and Ali Alfehaid – who were booked on an American Airlines flight from Los Angeles to Washington scheduled to leave the day before the 9/11 attacks, but instead took a British Airways flight to London. The Washington flight employed the same Boeing 757 aircraft that crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11.Skip to next paragraph
In Pictures Wikileaks and the war in Iraq
Israeli general hints at another Gaza campaign
Unclaimed attack on Islamic school raises tension in Nigeria
See no evil? Activists doubt credibility of Arab League mission to Syria.
Arab League observers head to Syria's war-ravaged Homs
Christmas church bombings put global spotlight on 'Nigerian Taliban' (VIDEO)
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
According to the cable, "[h]otel cleaning staff grew suspicious of the men because they noticed pilot type uniforms, several laptops and several cardboard boxes addressed to Syria, Jerusalem, Afghanistan and Jordan in the room.” The hotel room “also contained pin feed computer paper print outs with headers listing pilot names, airlines, flight numbers, and flight times.”
A fourth man, Mohamed Al Mansoori, is mentioned in the cable as supporting the three Qataris. Mr. Mansoori previously lived in Long Beach, California, but his whereabouts, along with those of the other three men, are unknown.
The cable recommended that Mansoori be added to the TSA’s “no-fly” list. The involvement of the four men in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which killed almost 3,000 people, had previously not been disclosed. To date, the sole person tried and convicted for the 9/11 attacks, Zacarias Moussaoui, was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
The 9/11 Commission, which was created to give an account of what happened leading up to the terrorist attacks, did not mention the men in their reports. The Commission also noted that Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the terrorism attacks, claimed that he had no operatives in California. Yet, that does not mean the commission was unaware of the their possible involvement, a member of the commission told The Washington Post.
“Not everything is in the report, and my memory of the details has dulled with time so I can't say if we had some trace of this group," Philip Zelikow said. "They might have been seen by us as a group that was part of a second wave, and if that was the case, we wouldn't have named them for obvious reasons."
Qatar has seen little domestic terrorism, but has been described by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as “the worst in the region” when it comes to working with the United States on counterterrorism initiatives.
In a cable released by WikiLeaks in November (read full cable), Ms. Clinton writes, “Although Qatar's security services have the capability to deal with direct threats and occasionally have put that capability to use, they have been hesitant to act against known terrorists out of concern for appearing to be aligned with the US and provoking reprisals.”