The Christian Science Monitor is a 24/7 news website with a global readership. The Monitor also publishes a weekly news magazine, which includes both material unique to the print product and stories that also appear on the Monitor's website. The Monitor offers a highly selective internship program.
Interns have an opportunity for hands-on experience in a range of departments - the US and world news desks and various features areas. Activities may include writing short items for the paper or website, doing research, and assisting the photo and graphics departments. It may also include some everyday office-management tasks. At the discretion of the editors, interns can assist with editing and contacting correspondents and contributors, as well as reporting their own stories. Generally, the minimum time requirement for paid internships is 35 hours a week. Academic internships are more flexible and can be considered on a part-time basis.
- Applications for our summer internships are due January 1st.
- For fall internships, July 15.
- For the winter/spring semester, Oct. 15.
- To apply, please contact the Internship Coordinator, and send a resumé, cover letter, and clips to (hard copy only):
The Christian Science Monitor
210 Massachusetts Avenue - P02-30
Boston, MA 02115
MonPub – The Christian Science Monitor
Web Analytics Intern
Overview: The Monitor is looking for a web analytics intern who is excited to take part in the major changes occurring in digital media today and thinks about things from a numbers perspective. If that sounds like you, join us to help us build out and enhance our analytics practice.
We're digging into our data to understand our audience better. The intern will learn all aspects of the web analytics department, from generating standard reports/dashboards to audience segmentation analysis and A/B testing on the website, this internship has a little bit of everything.
Experience it will afford: This position will use data to track and communicate key metrics and insights to the company, support the publishing team with analysis around social media and content consumption, and drive small web analytics projects that help the Monitor compete in the everchanging digital media world. It will provide a real-life view of how statistics, mathematics, and economics all drive business decisions at the Monitor.
Responsibilities: The Monitor is looking for a critical thinking and inquisitive intern who will work within our Analytics team to help with data reporting and analysis. Primary responsibilities will involve maintaining dashboards, communicating insights from trends, diving into our data to perform audience segmentation, helping with ad hoc requests for analysis, and supporting the A/B testing program. As analytics are becoming a core part of our business, this role will provide many valuable opportunities to develop experience with business intelligence and web analytics, as well as an extensive introduction to digital media and internet business.
1. College or Graduate student seeking degree in math/statistics, business, economics, or computer science.
2. Strong Excel and data analysis skills required.
3. Understanding of web analytics and data platforms (such as SiteCatalyst or Google Analytics) a plus.
4. Must be able to communicate data analysis in a clear and accurate manner to anyone.
MonPub – The Christian Science Monitor
Sales Manager - Content Strategy Group - DC Based
Overview: The Christian Science Monitor is a century-old news organization that’s in start-up mode. We've got a proud history and a passion for change. We’re looking for a DC-based sales person who can lead our outreach to sponsor partners by hearing and serving their needs and objectives. Washington is home to our biggest bureau as well as our premiere event series, The Monitor Breakfast. We’re increasing our focus on – and revenue from – this important market. We want you to help us grow.
The Monitor is owned by a church but is not a religious publication. Its mission is to “injure no man, but to bless all mankind.” In DC, this means providing coverage that’s compassionate and clear – whose only bias is toward hope and progress. Our coverage enables citizens to understand and get engaged in America’s political process. And we’re expanding our stable of sponsors who share our values. We want your help.
You’re relentless and humble. You’re a problem-solver who perceives clients’ real needs and improvises solutions. You’re a connector, a listener, a doer, a closer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Monitor is looking for a critical thinking and inquisitive intern who will work within our Analytics team to help with data reporting and analysis. Primary responsibilities will involve maintaining dashboards, communicating insights from trends, diving into our data to perform audience segmentation, helping with ad hoc requests for analysis, and supporting the A/B testing program. As analytics are becoming a core part of our business, this role will provide many valuable opportunities to develop experience with business intelligence and web analytics, as well as an extensive introduction to digital media and internet business.
1. Proactively prospect, qualify, grow and maintain an account list while meeting annual revenue goals.
2. Develop sales strategies, manage the sales process from prospect identification through close of sale and account renewal, as well as generate ccreataive, on-target ideas and see them through from inception to execution.Achieve and exceed revenue target on a consistent basis.
3. Produce accurate and regular sales forecasts.
4. Ensure quality of account management and development.
5. Contribute to creation, development and execution of new products that drive revenue.
6. Sell sponsorships on the full range of products, including events, multi-sponsored programs and web sponsorship.
7. Build relationships with clients to maximize revenue opportunities and grow future business.
8. Construct and send necessary proposals, pricing and contracts.
9. Effective cooperation with cross-functional teams, including operations, programming, finance, sales, marketing and other groups.
Staff Management and Job Contacts:
Supervision: Content Strategy Group Director
Employees, managers, senior managers, vendors, professionals
Education/Experience: Ten years professional and management experience in general business, advertising sales, and sales management. Direct experience in media/communications industry and Internet-based ventures is required, with management experience strongly preferred.
- Significant years of consultative sales experience.
- Experience selling event sponsorship and advertising programs.
- Experience of selling /negotiating.
- Key account management.
- Familiarity with sponsored content/research and editorial processes.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong communication and negotiating skills; confident and professional manner.
- Highly motivated, reliable, organized, driven.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
Please apply here.