ICC: Evidence shows that Qaddafi ordered rape of hundreds
The International Criminal Court's chief prosecutor said Wednesday that there is evidence that Qaddafi ordered the rape of Libyan women and supplied troops with male potency drugs.
(Page 2 of 2)
“He decided to punish using rapes, which in the Libya tradition is really something very bad, beyond the limits,” Moreno-Ocampo said, according to Bloomberg.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
Moreno-Ocampo said that the key question until recently was whether the rapes were being carried out under Qaddafi's orders or whether they were "something that happened in the barracks," not whether the rapes had occurred, according to Sky News.
The Libyan government denied the charges, The Tripoli Post reports. "It's the same old nonsense. We have always asked, time and again, for people to come on the ground and investigate all accusations against us," said government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim. "Unfortunately many people choose to accuse us cheaply of many many crimes and they refuse to come on the ground and investigate."
Iman al-Obeidi made international news in March when she told a group of journalists in Tripoli that she had been brutally raped by Qaddafi's forces. The Libyan government denied her accusations.
Libyan diplomat Mustafa Shaban blamed the media, Libyan opposition, and foreign mercenaries in the country for "widespread aggression" against the Libyan government and accused them of human rights violations and "acts of cannibalism," the AP reports. He promised to turn over evidence of his claims.
Whether the charges or arrest warrants will amount to anything is unclear – Libya does not recognize the ICC's jurisdiction. So as long as Qaddafi remains in Libya or another country that doesn't recognize the court (there are many, including many others on the African continent), he will remain a free man.