Two charged in Chicago shooting

Authorities charged two men in a Sept. 19 shooting that left 13 people wounded in Chicago's Back of the Yards neighborhood. 

By , Associated Press

  • close
    Officials convene at the scene of a shooting at Cornell Square Park in Chicago's Back of the Yard neighborhood that left multiple victims including a 3-year-old boy on Thursday, Sept. 19, 2013.
    Thursday night's attack was the latest violence in a city that has struggled to stop such shootings by increasing police patrols.
    View Caption

Two men have been charged in connection with last week's shooting that injured 13 people, including a 3-year-old boy.

Authorities say 21-year-old Bryon Champ and 20-year-old Kewane Gatewood were charged late Monday in the shooting at Cornell Square Park, which is located in Chicago's southwest side.

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy says that while the two played significant roles in the shooting, neither is believed to have pulled the trigger.

Recommended: Crime falls in the US. Are you safer today?

McCarthy says detectives are continuing the investigation.

Authorities say as many as three people opened fire Thursday on a basketball court in the Back of the Yards neighborhood. Among those injured were 3-year-old Deonta Howard, who is recovering from surgery after being shot near an ear, along with two teenagers.

Recommended: Crime falls in the US. Are you safer today?
Share this story:
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
Follow Stories Like This
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...