Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Is Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody?

A law enforcement official says a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing is in custody, reports the Associated Press. But the US Attorney's office told The Boston Globe that there is no suspect, no arrest.

By Denise LavoieAssociated Press / April 17, 2013

Mike Vitale, who lives in the Boston area, prays beside flowers and remembrances for victims of the bombing of the Boston Marathon at a roadblock at the end of Boylston Street, on Tuesday in Boston, Mass. A suspect in the bombing was arrested Wednesday, reports the Associated Press and other media outlets.

Melanie Stetson Freeman/The Christian Science Monitor

Enlarge

Boston

UPDATED: 2:45 pm.

Skip to next paragraph

A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Wednesday in a breakthrough that came less than 48 hours after the deadly attack, a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press.

But the US Attorney's office now tells The Boston Globe that there is no suspect being held, and no arrest has been made. The Boston Globe has a banner headline reporting that "Authorities ID suspect in Marathon bombing."

The first law enforcement official spoke to AP shortly after several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.

The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. The suspect was expected at a Boston courthouse, the official said.

A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.

Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings.

Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.

A person close to the investigation had previously told AP the bombs consisted of explosives put in 1.6-gallon pressure cookers, one with shards of metal and ball bearings, the other with nails.

Investigators in white jumpsuits had fanned out across the streets, rooftops and awnings around the blast site in search of clues on Wednesday. They combed through debris amid the toppled orange sports drink dispensers, trash cans and sleeves of plastic cups strewn across the street at the marathon's finish line.

President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism. Obama plans to attend an interfaith service Thursday in the victims' honor in Boston.

Scores of victims of the Boston bombing remained in hospitals, many with grievous injuries. Doctors who treated the wounded corroborated reports that the bombs were packed with shrapnel intended to cause mayhem. In addition to the 5-year-old child, a 9-year-old girl and 10-year-old boy were among 17 victims listed in critical condition.

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer