By Kendra Nordin, Staff Writer
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shelled pecans (or walnuts), chopped
1 cup chocolate chips
1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl mix sugar and flour. Stir in eggs, butter, and vanilla. Add walnuts and chocolate chips and stir until combined.
3. Spread mixture evenly in pastry shell.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until set. The pie should be soft and chewy but not runny.
5. Serve warm with whipped cream.
Note: Many recipes Kentucky Derby pie recipes use Kentucky bourbon, but this is not necessary for this delicious pie.