Robert Gates says US-South Korea military exercises may wait for UN investigation

US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates says joint US-South Korean military exercises may wait while the UN considers accusations that North Korea sank a South Korean warship.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the U.S. and South Korea may wait to hold new joint military exercises until the United Nations considers accusations that North Korea sank a South Korean warship.

South Korea asked the U.N. Security Council to look at the case on Friday. The council could condemn or punish North Korea for the sinking that killed 46 sailors.

Gates suggested that what had been a fast-moving push for a U.S. show of force has slowed. He says that there are concerns about not provoking the North further, and that the U.N. should have a chance to decide what it will do.

Gates met Friday with the South Korean defense minister during a security conference in Singapore.

Share this story:

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK