Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


McDonald's franchisees dispute worker's debit card suit

McDonald's franchisees who paid their employees with debit cards are being sued by a worker who says she was charged $1.50 to withdraw cash.The McDonald's franchisees say the suit has no merit because the employees consented to the payment method. 

By Associated Press / August 7, 2013

A McDonald's restaurant sign is illuminated in the Wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago. McDonald's franchisees who own 16 Pennsylvania restaurants are being sued by an employee who's challenging their decision to pay employees with debit cards.

Charles Rex Arbogast/AP/File

Enlarge

Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

The owners of 16 McDonald's restaurants say a lawsuit filed by a northeastern Pennsylvania woman who's challenging their decision to pay employees with debit cards has no merit.

Skip to next paragraph

The (Wilkes-Barre) Citizens' Voice reports (http://bit.ly/158OUHV ) that attorneys for Albert and Carol Mueller, whose company owns 16 regional McDonald's restaurants, say the cards "are the functional equivalent of cash or checks." They say employees consented to the payment method.

The company recently filed its response to a class-action lawsuit initiated by attorneys for Natalie Gunshannon. The 27-year-old Dallas Township woman briefly worked at the Shavertown McDonald's earlier this year. She says she was charged $1.50 to withdraw cash.

The company says Gunshannon doesn't have standing to sue because she never was actually paid with a debit card and never incurred any fee.

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!