Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

Joran van der Sloot confesses to Peru killing, but will he get off easy?

An officer in Peru's national police criminal investigation unit has confirmed that Dutchman Joran van der Sloot confessed to the May 30 killing university student Stephany Flores Ramirez.

By Lucien ChauvinCorrespondent / June 8, 2010

Police officers escort Joran Van der Sloot during a press conference at a police station in Lima, Peru, June 5. Peruvian police said Tuesday that Van der Sloot has confessed to murdering university student Stephany Flores Ramirez in his Lima hotel room last week.

Karel Navarro/AP


Lima, Peru

Joran van der Sloot, a Dutchman under arrest in Peru, has confessed to murdering university student Stephany Flores Ramirez here last week.

Skip to next paragraph

Peru’s news radio station, Radio Programas, reported late Monday night that Mr. van der Sloot admitted to police investigators that he killed Stephany Flores, 21, early in the morning on May 30.

An officer in the National Police’s criminal investigation unit confirmed to the Monitor that van der Sloot confessed to the crime.

Van der Sloot told officers that he had briefly left the room in the Hotel Tac at 8:10 am to buy breakfast. He returned with two coffees and bread to find Flores Ramirez surfing the Internet on his laptop.

Don't mess with my laptop!

Van der Sloot related to officers that Flores was reading details of the case involving Natalee Holloway, the Alabama teen who disappeared five years earlier on the same day. Van der Sloot had been arrested twice in that case, but released for lack of evidence. Holloway has never been found.

Flores and van der Sloot argued and he struck her to retrieve his computer. The beating continued for several minutes. Officers say there is no evidence that Flores fought back.

"I did not want to do it. The girl intruded into my private life," he told investigators, according to Peru's La Republica newspaper. "She had no right."

"I confronted her," he continued. "She was frightened, we argued and she wanted to get away. I grabbed her by the neck and I hit her."

Van der Sloot's escape to Chile

The daily El Comercio reported on Tuesday that van der Sloot said everything happened quickly and within 10 minutes of having returned with breakfast he was out the door again. He grabbed a bag and decided to leave Peru, eventually traveling by land throughout Sunday and crossing the border into neighboring Chile, 650 miles south of Lima, the following day.

Video from hotel security cameras show Van der Sloot and Ms. Flores Ramirez entering Van der Sloot's hotel room together at 5 a.m. Saturday and Van der Sloot leaving alone four hours later with his bags.