Subscribe

76 hungry Boko Haram members surrender to Nigerian army

Members of the Islamist militant group have given themselves up, citing food shortages.

  • close
    Soldiers guard people fleeing from Boko Haram’s carnage and about to be searched to ensure there are no insurgents infiltrating a refugee camp, in Dec. 2015. People detained by the military and a civilian self-defense force are disappearing in northeast Nigeria, some wrongly accused of fighting for Boko Haram by neighbors settling old scores. The army says it is setting up a human rights office to investigate complaints. Amnesty International holds Nigeria’s military responsible for the deaths of some 8,000 detainees since 2011 – more than a third of the 20,000 people who have died in Nigeria’s Islamic uprising.
    Sunday Alamba/AP
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

Dozens of emaciated-looking Boko Haram members begging for food have surrendered in northeast Nigeria, the military and a civilian self-defense fighter said Wednesday.

Seventy-six people including children and women gave themselves up to soldiers last Saturday in Gwoza, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) southeast of Maiduguri, according to a senior officer.

All are being detained at military headquarters in Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram and currently the command center of the war against the Islamic extremists, according to the officer. He insisted on anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to journalists.

The detainees said many more fighters want to surrender, a self-defense civilian fighter who helped escort them to Maiduguri told The Associated Press.

Food shortages could indicate that Nigeria's military is succeeding in choking supply routes of the Islamic extremists who have taken their fight across Nigeria's borders. Some 20,000 people have died in the 6-year-old uprising. Boko Haram was declared the deadliest of all terror groups in 2014, surpassing the Islamic State group to which it declared allegiance last year.

In a separate development, soldiers from Nigeria and Cameroon rescued 701 people held captive in the Gwoza district, local council chairman Ibrahim Chikun told reporters in Maiduguri late Wednesday. He said they were freed Sunday in a joint operation.

Nigeria's military reported that dozens of Boko Haram fighters were surrendering in September and October last year. It promised those who give themselves up voluntarily that they will be rehabilitated through a de-radicalization program.

In the 10 months since he took office promising to halt the insurgency, President Muhammadu Buhari has replaced the leadership of the military, moved the headquarters for the fight from the distant capital, Abuja, to the heart of the northeastern insurgency and resupplied soldiers.

The military has driven the insurgents from the towns and villages where they had set up an Islamic caliphate but Boko Haram has returned to hit-and-run tactics and suicide bombings.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK