Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Afghanistan war: US night raid sparks protest over civilian deaths

A night raid by US troops, which left an armed Afghan dead, sparked a street protest Thursday. In the Afghanistan war, Gen. Stanley McChrystal has issued orders to limit night raids in an attempt to reduce civilian deaths in the pursuit of Taliban fighters.

By Dion NissenbaumMcClatchy Newspapers / April 29, 2010

Afghans burn tires during a protest, Thursday, after a Wednesday night military raid resulted in the death of an Afghan lawmaker's brother-in-law.

Rahmat Gul/AP

Enlarge

Kabul, Afghanistan

Irate demonstrators burned tires and blocked traffic in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday after U.S.-led forces killed an armed relative of an Afghan lawmaker during a night raid on her home, according to military and Afghan officials.

Skip to next paragraph

The confrontation was another setback for the American-led military coalition in Afghanistan, which has declared an aim of reducing civilian deaths and winning support from skeptical Afghans as it prepares for a prolonged summer offensive meant to hobble the Taliban.

U.S. Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the head of coalition forces in Afghanistan, has issued a series of orders meant to curtail civilian deaths, which alienate the public and provide fodder for insurgents.

McChrystal recently put new constraints on controversial night raids, requiring Afghan forces to play an integral role and to take the lead when homes are entered.

The American military said Afghan soldiers took part in Wednesday night's deadly search, but the Afghan family that was caught up in the raid questioned that contention.

"I didn't see any Afghan forces," said Shah Fasial Sidiqi, the younger brother of Afghan lawmaker Safiya Sidiqi and one of those whom U.S. forces held for several hours during the raid.

Demonstrators took to the streets in Nangarhar province Thursday as Safiya Sidiqi denounced the U.S. for the raid that killed one of her relatives.

"I was afraid of Taliban, and now I can say the Americans are the enemy of the women of Afghanistan," she told McClatchy.

Sidiqi wasn't home when the raid began late Wednesday night at her village in Nangarhar province, east of Kabul.

However, her brother, Shah Fasial Sidiqi, a resident of Canada who'd returned to Afghanistan earlier this week to visit his family, was there when the Americans came looking for a Taliban leader.

He said that more than 80 U.S. soldiers took over the family compound before midnight. The Americans tied up 15 men, women and children and blindfolded the Sidiqi relatives, he said.

The grocery store worker from Toronto said he told the Americans that they were taking over the home of a lawmaker.

"They said, 'We know,' " he told McClatchy on Thursday.

During the search, Safiya Sidiqi said, one of her brothers-in-law emerged from a neighboring house with an old hunting rifle and was shot.

In a statement, U.S. forces said that the man was killed after he took aim at American and Afghan troops who were taking part in the raid. The news release said that intelligence had led them to search the homes for a "Taliban facilitator," though no arrests were made.

The controversy is the latest to hamper U.S. efforts to win increased support from Afghans.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai has long been critical of night raids. Last month, McChrystal imposed tighter rules on the operations.

Permissions