Before the medals are struck, Olympic mottoes are craftedSkip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
In Vancouver, British Columbia, a countdown clock is already ticking off the 400-plus days until the start of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. In one recent order of business, organizers announced that the motto will be: "With glowing hearts" (which they said expresses the character and personality of the Olympic and Paralympic Games that will be staged there, in the suburb of Richmond, and at Whistler Mountain Resort 85 miles north). The only other Olympics booked at this point are the 2012 Summer Games in London and the 2014 Winter Games at Sochi, Russia, but they don't yet have catchy slogans. The Olympic mottoes selected to this point, with the year and location of the Games (both summer and winter) that used them:
- 1988 – Seoul, South Korea: "Harmony and progress"
- 1992 – Barcelona, Spain: "Friends forever"
- 1996 – Atlanta: "The celebration of the century"
- 2000 – Sydney, Australia: "Share the spirit"
- 2002 - Salt Lake City: "Light the fire within"
- 2004 – Athens: "Welcome home" and "In the true spirit of the Games"
- 2006 – Torino, Italy: "Passion lives here"
- 2008 – Beijing: "One world, one dream"
- 2010 – Vancouver, British Columbia.: "With glowing hearts"