• Good Idea: When Hezbollah secured the release of five Lebanese prisoners , correspondent Nick Blanford thought he'd drive up to the home village of Samir Kuntar, a Druze who had been imprisoned in Israel since 1979. But when he arrived, his hopes of getting a word with Mr. Kuntar faded. "The place was crawling with Hezbollah bodyguards as if he were head of state," says Nick.
Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
– Christa Case Bryant
• Canadian Party: In the July 16 story, "Canadians chafe at post-9/11 ties with US," we misstated the name of foreign affairs critic Wayne Marston's party. It is the New Democratic Party.
• Monday, July 21:Dublin, Ireland – EU President Nicolas Sarkozy visits to discuss how to overcome Irish rejection of EU reform treaty.
• Tuesday, July 22:Moscow – Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez meets Russian President Dmitri Medvedev at the start of a European tour.
• Thursday, July 24:Berlin – US Sen. Barack Obama to give a speech. He goes to Paris the next day.
• Friday, July 25:Bordeaux, France – South African President Thabo Mbeki holds summit with EU amid tensions over Zimbabwe.
• Sunday, July 27:Cambodia – National elections.Paris – The Tour de France finishes.
– Associated Press