Navy Yard shooting: Gunmen killed 12 people, 2 armed men sought
Navy Yard shooting: Police were seeking information about two armed men, one white and one black, and both described as wearing military or military-style uniforms and as between 40 and 50 years old. The gunman killed in the Navy Yard shooting was identified as Aaron Alexis.
UPDATE 5 p.m.Skip to next paragraph
Chelsea Sheasley is the Monitor's Asia Editor, overseeing regional coverage for CSMonitor.com and the weekly magazine.
In Pictures Policing America
How did teen stowaway survive 5-1/2 hour flight to Hawaii in wheel well?
We want flying cars, not creepy robots that take care of grandma, study says
Bloomberg's new $50 million gun safety push, one mom at a time
Boston Marathon: suspect arraigned in Boston bomb hoax (+video)
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Robot sub back at work after false start (+video)
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011, says the Associated Press. The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City. Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.
The shooting Monday morning at the Washington Navy Yard left at least 12 people dead, D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray said, and authorities said one gunman is dead and police are looking for two more possible gunmen.
District of Columbia Police Chief Cathy Lanier confirmed Monday that one shooter is dead, but said there are two additional gunmen that witnesses report seeing who have not been located.
“The big concern for us right now is that we have potentially two other shooters that we have not located at this point,” Ms. Lanier said.
RECOMMENDED: Policing America
Lanier described one of the suspects as a white male, last seen at 8:35 or 8:40 a.m. in a khaki or tan military-style outfit with a handgun. She described the other suspect as a black male in an olive military outfit and with a “long gun.” She described both men as appearing to be between 40 and 50 years old.
Police do not know if the possible gunmen are members of the military, but only that they are wearing military-style apparel, Lanier said. She urged anyone with information to call 1-202-727-9099, or 1-800-CALLFBI.
The number of injuries at the Navy Yard is still unclear. At a 2 p.m. press conference Mayor Gray said there a "few" people with non-life-threatening injuries. Earlier, he said, “As far as we know, this is an isolated incident.”
One of the wounded is a D.C. police officer, who was shot during an encounter with one of the shooters, according to Ms. Lanier.
Janis Orlowski, Chief Medical Officer at the Washington Hospital Center said they’ve received three wounded, including a police officer and two female civilian employees. The three are in critical condition, but are conscious and talking, she said. They are expected to recover, and are not talking about the incident, she said.
Ms. Orlowski said that she was told to expect more injured patients.
President Obama commented on the shooting at a previously scheduled press conference on the US economy: “We still don’t know all the facts,” he said. "We do know several people have been shot and some have been killed. We’re confirming another mass shooter and today it happened at a military installation in our nation’s capital.