Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


The Monitor Breakfast

Club for Growth president: Mitt Romney is 'a mixed bag'

Chris Chocola, president of the influential conservative group the Club for Growth, certainly wants Mitt Romney to defeat President Obama. He's just not sure what Romney would do once in office.

By Staff writer / September 20, 2012

Chris Chocola, president of the Club for Growth, speaks in Washington on Thursday.

Michael Bonfigli/The Christian Science Monitor

Enlarge

Washington

Chris Chocola, president of the influential free-enterprise and anti-tax group the Club for Growth, called GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney “a mixed bag” in a sign of the remaining challenges the party standard-bearer faces in energizing conservative Republicans.

Skip to next paragraph

Mr. Chocola, a former member of Congress, spoke Thursday at a Monitor-hosted breakfast for reporters. When asked what his group’s expectations were for a potential Romney presidency, Chocola said, “our expectations are uncertainty.”  

He added: “That is the knock against Romney…. You don’t really know how he will serve.… There is always a question because of how he has served in the past, gives you some uncertainty as how he will serve in the future.”

"He has the potential to exceed expectations," Chocola said. "But it is a mixed bag, and that is his problem.... People really don't know."

The Club for Growth focuses its attention on backing what it considers the most conservative electable candidates in House and Senate races. Sometimes it targets Republican incumbents the group finds insufficiently in line with its anti-tax, free-trade views. “Our first focus is open, safe Republican seats. Our second focus is incumbents behaving badly,” Chocola said. 

The Club played a key role in the defeat of Utah Republican Sen. Bob Bennett in 2010 as well as helping fund the successful candidacy of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio that year. In the current election cycle, the Club’s financial backing played a key role in the come-from-behind victory of Senate candidate Ted Cruz in the Texas Republican primary.

Despite reservations about Romney, Chocola made clear that he prefers the former Massachusetts governor to President Obama. Romney “has a mixed record when it comes to our issues. We didn’t endorse him in the primary. He is our only choice … now so we are not going to criticize him. We are going to hope that he exceeds our expectations," he said. 

Chocola praised Romney’s spending record while he was governor of Massachusetts as “pretty good.” Annual increases were in the 2.1 to 2.2. percent range, he said. But he was critical of the governor’s tough stance on trade with China, where Romney has called for the US to brand China a currency manipulator.

“Romney and Obama had their dueling 'bash China' sessions,” Chocola said. “When you start to threaten a trade war with China, when you start to pander politically on trade issues, you are hurting the economy, you are not helping it…. We think that both of them are guilty of political pandering to the detriment of economic growth.”

The Club for Growth president ran CTB International, a successful agricultural equipment manufacturing firm, before he was elected to Congress in 2002. The company, which his grandfather founded, was sold to billionaire Warren Buffett in 2002. Chocola argued that business executives who go into politics, like Romney, often have trouble adjusting. 

“In politics, 90 percent of what you do is look like you are doing something, 10 percent is actually doing something. In business 90 percent of what you do is doing something and the other 10 percent may be trying [to] … convince people you are great. And so business people have a very hard time understanding why results just don’t speak for themselves and 'Why do I have to tell people how great I am?' ” he said.

Permissions
The Monitor Breakfast on FORA.tv

Subscribe for full video access to one of Washington's premier forums

  • Full-length Breakfast videos
  • Access to the video archives
  • E-mail alerts after every Breakfast event

Sign up for:

Sign up for full video access

Already a subscriber?

Log-in

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!
[Alt-Text]