Everyone knows the song -- or at least the part where Aretha Franklin sings, "R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Take care. TCB, ohhh. (video below).
The question is, are we going to hear this song on January 20, 2009?
While many people are outraged that Pastor Rick Warren will deliver the invocation for Inauguration Day, it would be hard to find people who don't support the Queen of Soul participating in the inaugural.
California Senator Diane Feinstein, chairman of the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, had the honor of announcing Franklin's role yesterday.
"I am delighted to announce this superb line-up of participants in the 2009 inaugural ceremonies," Feinstein said.
"The inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama will be an event of historic proportion. It is appropriate that the program will include some of the world’s most gifted artists from a wide range of backgrounds and genres."
Who's Zooming Who?
When will Franklin sing? Right before Joe Biden takes his oath of office. Hopefully, as she's in control of the microphone, she'll filibuster and sing as many songs as she'd like.
Although the Obama team has probably ruled out "Chain of Fools" from being in her playlist.
Here's the entire line-up for the day.
• Musical selections, United States Marine Band
• Musical selections, San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus
• Call to Order and Welcoming Remarks
• The Honorable Dianne Feinstein
• Musical selection, Aretha Franklin
• Oath of Office administered to Vice President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. by Associate Justice of the Supreme Court the Honorable John Paul Stevens
• Oath of Office administered to President-elect Barack H. Obama by the Chief Justice of the United States The Honorable John G. Roberts Jr.
• Inaugural Address by the President of the United States, the Honorable Barack H. Obama
• Poem by Elizabeth Alexander
• Benediction by the Rev. Dr. Joseph E. Lowery
• The National Anthem by the United States Navy Band performing its official chorus "Sea Chanters"