Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

Michael Jackson's security guard, wooed by tabloids, finally speaks at trial

At the Conrad Murray trial Thursday, security guard Alberto Alvarez provided the most detailed public account yet of the frantic scene in the bedroom the day Michael Jackson died.

(Page 2 of 2)

“While I was standing at the foot of the bed, [Murray] reached over and grabbed a handful of vials and said, ‘Here, put these in the bag,’ “ Alvarez said. Next, he said, Murray instructed him to remove an IV bag from an IV stand near Jackson’s bed and place it in a plastic bag.

Skip to next paragraph

Alvarez said he noticed a bottle inside the bag. Deputy District Attorney David Walgren showed Alvarez an empty 100 milliliter bottle of propofol.

“Does this appear to be the bottle you saw in the bag,” the prosecutor asked.

“It appears to be,” Alvarez answered. “Yes, sir.”

Alvarez said when he removed the bag from the IV stand he saw a “milky white substance” at the bottom of the bag.

Propofol is white and resembles milk.

“Why were you following these instructions to assist in collecting these vials and the saline bag?” Mr. Walgren asked.

“I believed that Conrad Murray had the best intentions for Mr. Jackson,” Alvarez said. “I knew it was a medical emergency so I proceeded to follow his instructions.”

He added: “I thought we were packing and getting ready to go to the hospital.”

“Following those events, is that when you called 911,” Walgren asked.

“Yes, sir.”

The 911 call

Once the 911 operator understood that the patient was unconscious and not breathing, he instructed Alvarez to get the patient onto the floor to properly administer CPR.

At that point, Murray and Alvarez moved Jackson to the floor. To do so, Murray pulled an IV tube out of Jackson’s leg, Alvarez said. Murray also clipped a compact monitoring device to Jackson’s finger, he said.

As Murray tended to Jackson on the floor, Alvarez heard another security guard, Faheem Mohammed, arrive in the room. Alvarez said he told Mr. Mohammed “it was not looking good.”

That’s when Murray asked if anyone knew CPR.

“Me and Faheem kind of looked at each other for a split second,” Alvarez said. Alvarez went to Jackson and began administering chest compressions, while Murray administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

“What, if anything, did Dr. Murray say,” the prosecutor asked.

Alvarez answered: “I recall after a couple of … a few breaths, he came up and said this is the first time I do mouth to mouth, but I have to, he is my friend.”

The paramedics arrived within minutes but were unable to revive Jackson. He was transported to UCLA Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Alvarez said he has refused more than 20 requests for media interviews about the day Jackson died. He said one news outlet offered him $500,000. The National Enquirer proposed $200,000.

He said he liked working for Jackson and that since his death he had gone “from a great salary to hardly anything.”

Get daily or weekly updates from delivered to your inbox. Sign up today.


Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story