Subscribe
First Look

New Sandy Hook school balances beauty and safety

New elementary school prepares to open on the same property of the 2012 massacre, but with extensive new security features and an artistic redesign.

  • close
    The front of the newly constructed Sandy Hook Elementary School, built to replace the building torn down after a gunman shot dead 20 young children and six educators in a 2012 massacre, is pictured in Newtown, Conn., Friday.
    Michelle McLoughlin/Reuters
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

Four years after the Sandy Hook massacre, the new Sandy Hook Elementary School is opening: redesigned to be attractive, but also safe.

The new site features no obvious memorial of the horrendous events that took place in the former, circa 1956 school that occupied the same land in 2012, when a disturbed young man, Adam Lanza, killed 20 first-graders and six educators in the Newtown, Conn., school.

The new, 86,000 square foot school is forest themed, featuring wave-like wooden panelling and three courtyards. In order to get into the school, however, visitors are required to pass through a driveway gate, a rain garden that resembles a moat, and two police at the front, all being watched over by video surveillance. The windows are bullet-proof.

Past and new Sandy Hook students will return to a building with an elevated ground floor, making it difficult to see inside. Landscaping is designed to make it easy to spot anyone approaching the building.

"Our goal was to create a place of community and learning, a place that would honor those we lost and allow those who were left behind the chance to move forward," said Pat Llodra, the town’s first selectman. 

"Let me state unequivocally that we would trade in a minute this beautiful new school for the more familiar and ancient Sandy Hook school, built in the '50s, if we could just change the past," he said. 

The new $50 million, state-grant funded school was opened to the public on Friday, ahead of the August 29 start date, with Superintendent Joseph Erardi saying he hoped that the media fascination would pass by then to allow a "quiet, respectful, and appropriate opening as teachers and students return to the new school year."

Of the 390 students enrolled to return to the school this fall, 70 of those were enrolled at the time of the shooting.

School Principal Kathy Gombos said that while the transition to the new school is expected to be emotionally trying, so far the teachers, parents, and students who have visited have been smiling.

"There have been some tears, but I think after they spend about an hour or so here, they feel like it's going to be an unbelievable learning space for kids," said Ms. Gombos.

This report contains material from the Associated Press.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK