Subscribe

Navy finds no signs of shooting at San Diego medical center, lifts lockdown

Authorities have lifted a nearly six-hour lockdown at the Naval Medical Center San Diego in Balboa Park after finding no evidence of the gunshots reported earlier Tuesday. 

  • close
    Navy Capt. Curt Jones, commander of Naval Medical Center San Diego speaks during a press conference regarding a report of gunshots at a building on the campus of the facility on Tuesday in San Diego. The Navy said an initial inspection at the center found no sign of a gunman or a shooting.
    John Gastaldo /The San Diego Union-Tribune via AP
    View Caption
  • About video ads
    View Caption
of

Authorities found no gunman or signs of a shooting on Tuesday after receiving a report from a Department of Defense employee that shots had been heard at one of the nation's largest Naval medical facilities.

The report of a shooting grabbed attention across the country and led to the lockdown of the Naval Medical Center San Diego in Balboa Park, near the San Diego Zoo, and three nearby schools.

Authorities lifted the lockdown at the schools and hours later at the facility after military police finished a thorough sweep of the building in question.

Fears were heightened when the medical center posted on its Facebook page: "An active shooter has just been reported in building #26 at Naval Medical Center San Diego. All occupants are advised to run, hide or fight."

The unidentified Department of Defense employee reported hearing three gunshots just before 8 a.m. on the sprawling 78-acre campus, where Building 26 houses administrative offices, a gymnasium and dormitories for combat-wounded veterans in long-term care. As many as 800 people are in the building at that time, Navy officials said.

All non-emergency personnel were asked to stay away from the area, and traffic backed up around the facility during the morning rush hour.

Military personnel searched the structure for about two hours before saying there were no initial signs of a shooting.

The base remained on lockdown for nearly six hours as military police went room to room and led personnel out of the building. The hospital began receiving patients late Tuesday afternoon, and building 26 reopened.

Capt. Curt Jones, commanding officer of Naval base San Diego, said there was construction going on nearby, but he did not know if that noise was mistaken for the sound of gunshots. The report was made in person, and everyone did as they have been trained to do, Jones said.

"We want people, if they see something or hear something, we want them to tell us," Jones said.

At least seven law enforcement agencies – including the FBI, the US Department of Homeland Security, and police departments – assisted.

"Obviously there's been numerous events throughout the country and truly around the world, so we take this all very, very seriously," he said.

After the initial search, TV images showed uniformed Navy personnel walking outside the medical facility with their hands in the air as base police patted them down as a precaution.

More than 6,500 military, civilian, contractor, and volunteer personnel work at the 272-bed, multi-specialty hospital and ambulatory complex.

Sharie Jarsulic, a teacher at the base child care center, waited in her car outside the main gate after being denied entry. Her work day begins after employees drop off about 200 children.

The response was justified, she said, pointing out that the hospital treats mentally ill people and military members traumatized by war.

"They acted the right way," she said while waiting for the gate to reopen. "It could be someone inside or in the barrack, and they could have just went off."

A number of shootings and threats have left military and civilian officials grappling with finding the difficult balance of not overreacting and causing unnecessary upheaval in people's lives versus not being too lax in responding.

Naval personnel worldwide have been doing routine trainings on how to respond to such incidents ever since a lone gunman fatally shot 12 people and injured three others at the Washington Navy Yard in 2013.

Another drill is scheduled for Navy personnel in San Diego in coming weeks.

___

AP writers Christopher Weber and John Antczak in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome
 
 
Make a Difference
Inspired? Here are some ways to make a difference on this issue.
FREE Newsletters
Get the Monitor stories you care about delivered to your inbox.
 

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK