Everything you need to know to grow tasty tomatoes
Tomatoes 101 - Here's everything you need to know: trends, tips for easy growing, and recommendations of tasty favorites.
(Page 2 of 2)
My favoritesSkip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
• Striped Cavern: red and orange striped, fluted, hollow tomato that is great for stuffing with tuna salad.
• Garden Peach: fuzzy yellow, blushed with pink, the 2-ounce tomato looks and feels like a peach. Fruity flavor. Kids love them.
• Black Krim: violet-brown small beefsteak with the perfect sweet-tart flavor with plenty of nuanced undertones like salt and lemon.
• Green Zebra: green and amber striped 3- to 5-ounce tomato. Sweet, fruity flavor with citrus undertones.
• Pineapple: huge orange, amber, and red-swirled beefsteak that can weigh up to 1 pound. Firm and sweet with tart nuances. The perfect BLT and hamburger tomato.
Tomato Growers Supply Co.
Internet only ordering
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
Territorial Seed Co.
Doreen Howard, the Edible Explorer, is one of nine garden writers who blog regularly at Diggin' It. If it’s edible and unusual, Doreen figures out a way to grow it in her USDA Zone 4b garden. She’ll try anything once, even smelly Durian. A former garden editor at Woman’s Day, she writes regularly for The American Gardener and The Old Farmer’s Almanac’s Garden Guide.
Editor’s note: To read more by Doreen Howard, click here. The Monitor’s main gardening page offers articles on many gardening topics. See also our blog archive and our RSS feeds. You may want to visit Gardening With the Monitor on Flickr. Take part in the discussions and get answers to your gardening questions. If you join the group (it’s free), you can upload your garden photos and enter our next contest.