Meatless Monday: Mediterranean zucchini and white beans
Mediterranean recipes from sun-drenched regions make for light and refreshing summertime meals.
Here’s a little ditty I highly recommend you try – Mediterranean zucchini and white beans. It’s super easy (especially if you have some white beans made already, but you could use canned on the fly), and tastes amazing in its simplicity. I was excited to find that I still had one zucchini left over from the last time I made this dish. I know what I’ll be having for dinner tonight.
I had this as a main for 1 (a very large main). But it serves nicely as a side dish for 2 or 3 as well. Especially if served with protein like herbed lemon chicken or grilled fish. If you’re serving a group, double accordingly.
Mediterranean zucchini and white beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, sliced in wedges
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small zucchini
1/2 cup cooked white beans
4-6 large olives, pitted
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onions until they begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
2. While you’re waiting on the onions and garlic to cook, slice the zucchini into bite-sized pieces. Add to pan and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
4. Chop the olives. Then add the olives and freshly squeezed lemon juice to the pan.
5. Season with chili flakes, salt and pepper. Serve immediately with fresh chopped parsley and lemon wedges for garnish.