Mother's Day: 20 breakfast and brunch recipes
Make an elegant and delicious breakfast or brunch this year for Mother's Day.
Smoked salmon frittata with caramelized onions and spinach
6 tablespoons milk
4-ounces smoked salmon, cut or torn into small pieces
1 box (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (squeeze spinach between paper towels to get all the excess water out)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 small (or 1/2 large) yellow onion, chopped into medium-sized pieces
2 teaspoons olive oil (divided)
1. Caramelize the onion (this can be done up to a couple days in advance). In a very small saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and add onions. Turn the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30-45 minutes or until the onions are sweet and smell amazing.
2. Preheat your oven’s broiler and have the oven rack in the middle of the oven (so the frittata won’t be too close to the broiler).
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Stir in spinach, smoked salmon, caramelized onions, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. In a medium-sized skillet that can go in the oven, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Turn the heat to medium-low and spread egg mixture in the bottom of the pan.
5. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until frittata is set but the top is still runny.
6. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and put it under the broiler with the oven door closed for 3-5 minutes. Keep your eye on it – you don’t want burnt frittata!
7. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then serve with toast and cream cheese.