Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Palace won't complain over naked Prince Harry photos as it has for Kate

The naked photos of Prince Harry in Las Vegas won't be taken to the British press watchdog commission because it would be a distraction to his deployment in Afghanistan. The decision contrasts with the lawsuit filed in France over publication of photos of Kate, topless.

By Staff and wires / September 28, 2012

Prince Harry (l.) and Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton applaud as they view the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games Aug.12, 2012.

Reuters

Enlarge

London

In contrast to the lawsuit and criminal complaint royal officials filed in France against a magazine that ran topless pictures of Prince William's wife, Kate, they say they won't complain to Britain's press watchdog about naked pictures of Prince Harry partying in Las Vegas that appeared in a British tabloid.

Skip to next paragraph

Gallery: Kate Middleton from girl to duchess

The Sun newspaper ran the snapshots of a Harry and a young woman, both disrobed, last month after they had appeared online and were reproduced around the world. A partygoer had leaked the photos from the prince's VIP hotel suite in Las Vegas. Celebrity news reports said that the prince’s gang met a group of women at the casino bar and invited them all up for a game of strip pool.

Harry's St. James's Palace office said Friday it had decided not to pursue a complaint with the Press Complaints Commission.

The palace said a complaint would be a distraction from Harry's deployment in Afghanistan, where he is serving as a helicopter pilot, and it "would not be prudent to pursue the matter further."

The topless photos of Kate were from a more private setting. They ran earlier this month in Closer, a weekly round-up of celebrity gossip. The five-page spread of photos showed Middleton relaxing topless with Prince William on a balcony at a 19th century hunting lodge in southern France it said is owned by a son of the late Princess Margaret.

Reuters and Associated Press contributed to this article

Permissions

  • Weekly review of global news and ideas
  • Balanced, insightful and trustworthy
  • Subscribe in print or digital

Special Offer

 

Doing Good

 

What happens when ordinary people decide to pay it forward? Extraordinary change...

Danny Bent poses at the starting line of the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton, Mass.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, Danny Bent took on a cross-country challenge

The athlete-adventurer co-founded a relay run called One Run for Boston that started in Los Angeles and ended at the marathon finish line to raise funds for victims.

 
 
Become a fan! Follow us! Google+ YouTube See our feeds!