Megaupload given two more weeks to deal with user data
Megaupload has negotiated a 14-day reprieve for troves of data stored on the site. But that doesn't mean Megaupload users will see their files anytime soon.
Megaupload chief Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, is seen in a New Zealand court. Megaupload has won a two-week reprieve to deal with user data.
Reuters
Earlier this month, the US Department of Justice shuttered Megaupload, a massive file-sharing operation run out of Hong Kong. The closing put at risk troves of user information, which federal prosecutors originally hinted might be deleted as soon as Thursday. Now comes word that Megauploaders have received a reprieve, giving lawyers for the site some time to sort out what will happen to hundreds of millions of music, movie and media files.
Skip to next paragraphRecent posts
-
06.28.13
Verizon: 4G is (mostly) everywhere, but we need to make it faster -
06.27.13
At Build 2013, Microsoft unveils Windows 8.1 (complete with Start button) -
06.13.13
Microsoft and Best Buy team up to open mini-stores -
06.12.13
Apple debuts new Macbook Air, OS X 'Mavericks' at WWDC -
05.02.13
UK loophole: Why your Facebook photos may show up on a billboard
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
According to CNET, executives at Carpathia Hosting and Cogent Communication, the two companies responsible for actually hosting the Megaupload data, have agreed to hold on to the files for full two weeks. "The hosting companies have been gracious enough to provide additional time so we can work out some kind of arrangement with the government," Megaupload lawyer Ira Rothken told CNET.
RECOMMENDED: Think you're a true geek? Take our quiz
It's worth noting here that the reprieve does not necessarily mean that users are guaranteed to get their data back – it does, however, mean that Megaupload attorneys may be able to negotiate its release. In an interview with Wired, Electronic Frontier Foundation lawyer Julie Samuels said it was "unclear" what kind of access authorities had to user files.
The government has accused Megaupload of dealing in pirated content, and costing copyright holders approximately $500 million. Megaupload chief Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, is currently imprisoned in New Zealand, along with three other Megaupload employees. Reps for the site have called the allegations against Megaupload "grotesquely overblown."
For more tech news, follow us on Twitter @venturenaut. And don’t forget to sign up for the weekly BizTech newsletter.
RECOMMENDED: Think you're a true geek? Take our quiz









These comments are not screened before publication. Constructive debate about the above story is welcome, but personal attacks are not. Please do not post comments that are commercial in nature or that violate any copyright[s]. Comments that we regard as obscene, defamatory, or intended to incite violence will be removed. If you find a comment offensive, you may flag it.