Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search


Opinion

In poor American economy, help poor children

Government budgets are strained, and they're pushing out poor children. These kids need people with money and clout to advocate for them – people such as corporate lobbyists.

(Page 2 of 2)



With fewer pennies to go around, the bureaucratic fights over who gets the money grow more fierce. Again, poor children pay the price. For instance, under the foundational Elementary and Secondary Education Act, low-income students stuck in failing schools are entitled to free after-school tutoring, technically known as Supplemental Education Services.

Skip to next paragraph

This is a good program – the US Department of Education reports that it is effective, the large majority of the students it serves are African American or Latino, and over 650,000 kids receive it nationwide.

Yet the money to pay for the program comes from the federal government. The school administrators who receive the money would rather spend it on their own priorities, and the Department of Education plans to waive spending restrictions in the 2012-13 academic year. Just like everyone else, school districts are facing tight budgets. It is just plain wrong, however, to make up the budget gap on the backs of poor children.

The fundamental problem is that poor children don’t have a voice. They’re not wealthy like big business. They’re not organized, like professional organizations. They’re not focused on policy and politics. As StandUp for Kids sees every day, they’re more focused on their next meal and a warm bed.

I hope those of us who care about people in poverty can finally give them that voice. Simply put, our nation needs government to help poor children. Try as we might, nonprofit and private organizations provide only 6 percent of the food aid in this country. The other 94 percent is covered by federal, state, and local government, and no level of philanthropy can make up for that.

To its great credit, the National Conference of Mayors took a public stand for extended day programs like free tutoring, and good-hearted politicians around the country have taken up the cause. Yet poor children need people with more money, and more clout, to advocate for them.

They need concerned citizens with means to tell Congress to watch out for the neediest. They need the same lobbyists who do so much for corporations to do some pro-bono work for low-income housing and job training programs. They need philanthropists and wealthy, high-profile individuals to tell Congress, and the president himself, exactly how much they care about children with no home, no job, and no hope.

Poor children are all too easy to forget about. Most of the time, we don’t see them. They live on the margins, far away from where we can hear what they have to say. But they are always with us. Tough economic times are no excuse to turn our backs on them.

David Bakelman is chief executive officer of StandUp for Kids.

Permissions

Read Comments

View reader comments | Comment on this story