Student discounts: 40-plus stores that offer discounts for college students
Student discounts can be a big help during college, which can be a stressful time for a family's budget. Read on for a list of 4o stores with student discounts to help you and your college student save big.
Isn't it funny that some of our happiest, most exciting, and carefree years--our college years--are also some of our poorest?
College students can get some sweet discounts with a student ID!
Any student or parent with a student in college will tell you that college can be a stressful time on a family's budget. For both students and parents, balancing tuition expenses, grocery bills, rent, and transportation costs can be a juggling act. We have compiled a list of 40 stores with student discounts to help you or your college student save big!
Student Travel Discounts
College offers students a plethora of travel opportunities. Whether your student is studying abroad in Europe or celebrating spring break in Mexico, there are a number of student discounts on flight, hotels, hostels, activities, and even traveler's insurance available to students. We found a variety of fantastic travel discount websites exclusive to students, but these are the cream of the crop:
Discounts with Student ID
While some savvy student shoppers are familiar with showing a student ID to receive in-store discounts, many people are unaware of this little trick until after graduation! Our advice to college (and even high school students) is to bring your student ID with you when you shop, and to ALWAYS ask a sales associate if that store provides a student discount. Most stores do not publicly advertise their student discount, and the discount is often spread through word-of-mouth. By asking the sale associate, students can be confident that they will get the best discount possible. Here is a student discount list that offers deals just for students:
- Academic Superstore: Provides student discounts on computers, electronics, software, and other college necessities
- Amazon Student: Free Amazon Prime trial for 6 year; includes unlimited free 2-day shipping with all orders and one-day shipping upgrade $3.99 per item, and after the trial is up, you can get Prime for 50% off.
- AMC Theatres: Student discounted movie tickets every Thursday
- Amtrak: Save 15% with your Student Advantage card or your International Student Identity Card.
- Ann Taylor LOFT: 15% off when you use your student ID in-store, or register with UNiDAYS to use it online
- Ann Taylor: 20% off
- Apple: 8% off (online and in-store)
- The Art Institute of Chicago: $50 annual student membership, plus other various discounts within the Art Institute
- Banana Republic: 15% off
- Broadway in Chicago: Ticket prices as low as $14.50 for select performances
- Burger King: 10% off (varies by location)
- Charlotte Russe: 10% off in-store with ID
- Club Monaco: 20% off regular-priced items
- Dairy Queen: 10% off (varies by location)
- Dell University: Savings vary by college
- Dominos Pizza: various student discounts based on location
- Eddie Bauer: 15% off on regular priced merchandise in-store with valid student ID
- Goodwill: 10% off in-store purchases with a student ID
- The GM College Discount: offers savings on Chevrolet, Buick or GMC cars
- HP Academy Store: offers exclusive student discounts on laptops and desktop computers
- J. Crew: 15% off regular-priced items
- JoAnn: 10% for Student Discount Program members
- JourneyEd: provides student discounts on computers, electronics, software, and other college necessities
- Kroger: 5% off at select locations
- The Limited: 15% off
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: $10 admission for students or $8 admission for students outside New York City, $2 for students within New York City with groups of $10 or more
- Papa John’s: various student discounts based on location
- Pizza Hut: 10%-20% off (varies by location)
- Qdoba: student burrito meals $5
- Regal Theaters: Up to 25% off tickets for select shows and dates
- Sam’s Club: Collegiate Annual Membership $40 plus FREE $15 Sam’s Club gift card
- SmartStop Self Storage: $1 first month's rent, up to 15% off monthly rent after that.
- Subway: 10% off
- Taco Cabana: 20% off (varies by location)
- ThinkEDU: student discounts on software, textbooks, dorm supplies, Apple products, collegiate apparel and more
- Topshop: 10% off
- Urban Outfitters: 10% off (on select dates only)
- Waffle House: 10% off
- Western Digital Store: 20% off all products when you create an account with a school email address.
Choosing your student discount strategy is up to you, but students should be aware that there are always discounts to take advantage of. After all, our college years fly by, and "real world" prices can wait until after graduation.
Make sure to check out our compilation of Teacher Discounts that can help your favorite professors save big!
Are we missing any student discounts? Leave a comment and we will update our list!
Looking for a printable version of our student discount list? Just click the link below and hit the "Print" button in your browser!
Last updated 2/11/2015
Take the best online coupons and deals with you on the go! Download the newly updated Brad's Deals iPhone app today.
The Christian Science Monitor has assembled a diverse group of the best personal finance bloggers out there. Our guest bloggers are not employed or directed by the Monitor and the views expressed are the bloggers' own, as is responsibility for the content of their blogs. To contact us about a blogger, click here. To add or view a comment on a guest blog, please go to the blogger's own site by clicking on the link in the blog description box above.