It doesn’t matter how smart or qualified you are, if you can’t write, speak, and act like a professional, no one will hire you to be a professional. If you’ve never learned to communicate in a serious and capable manner, it’s going to be very difficult to get hiring managers to take you seriously as a candidate. Here are some critical tips for communicating like a pro:
- Practice conducting conversations in an articulate and confident way.
- Cut the words “um”, “like”, “you know”, and “ah” out of your vocabulary.
- Do your homework. Prepare and research a company, organization, or person before you speak or write to them.
- In written correspondence, it is never okay to use text-isms (ENUF, LOL, GR8) or other 140-character shortcuts.
- Double-check your written work. Typos and misplaced words reflect poorly on you.
- Follow up from all communications with written notes that show your appreciation, summarize the conversation, and suggest a next course of action.
- Be personable. People buy people. If they like you, they are more likely to want to help, and maybe even hire you.