Your goal: Super answers
You may think you know all about the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis Colts, but let's test your knowledge of Super Bowl trivia. We've made it easy for you (sort of) – all questions are either true or false. If you fumble, the answers are below. Are you ready for the game?Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
1. This year's Super Bowl is being played at Dolphin Stadium, just outside Miami.
2. The first Super Bowl was played in Los Angeles.
3. The Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers are tied for the most Super Bowl appearances.
4. Deion Sanders is the only person to play in both the World Series and the Super Bowl.
5. Chicago is the northernmost city to host a Super Bowl.
6. The Vince Lombardi Trophy is the name of the prize awarded each year to the winning team of the Super Bowl.
7. This is the first Super Bowl in which both teams have an African-American head coach.
8. Television commercials cost about $42,000 in the first Super Bowl. (Do you know how much they cost today?)
9. The San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos are the only teams to square off in back-to-back Super Bowls.
10. About 1 billion viewers will watch Sunday's game around the world. (Will you be one of them?)
1. True; the stadium is located in Miami Gardens, Fla., a northern suburb of Miami.
2. True; the first Super Bowl was played at Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles on Jan. 15, 1967.
3. False; the Dallas Cowboys have made eight Super Bowl appearances. The Broncos and Steelers are tied for the second most appearances (six).
4. True; Sanders was part of the 1992 Atlanta Braves baseball team that lost to the Toronto Blue Jays in the World Series. Then he won back-to-back Super Bowl rings as a member of the 49ers (1995) and the Cowboys (1996).
5. False; it's Minneapolis, which hosted Super Bowl XXVI at the Metrodome.
6. True; the trophy, pictured at top right, was originally called the "World Championship Game Trophy," but was renamed in 1970 in honor of the former Green Bay Packers coach.
7. True; Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears and Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts are the first African-American head coaches to square off in a Super Bowl.
8. True. This year, the average cost of a 30-second commercial is a record $2.6 million.
9. False; Dallas and Buffalo met in Super Bowls XXVII and XXVIII. The Cowboys won both games.
10. True; the number of worldwide viewers will be about 1 billion people, according to NFL.com. It's one of the most-watched TV events in the world.