Skip to: Content
Skip to: Site Navigation
Skip to: Search

What went wrong at Abu Ghraib

A top-down push for harsh interrogation techniques comes to light, as investigations into Iraqi prisoner abuse continue.

(Page 2 of 2)

A military team sent from Guantanamo in October carried out an "overhaul" at Abu Ghraib, creating "tiger teams" of interrogators paired with analysts to get better information, says Spc. David Monath, a reservist sent to work as an intelligence analyst at the prison last September.

Skip to next paragraph

Yet Specialist Monath and others say they were frustrated by intense pressure from Colonel Pappas and his superiors - Lt. Gen Ricardo Sanchez and his intelligence officer, Maj. Gen. Barbara Fast - to churn out a high quantity of intelligence reports, regardless of the quality. "It was all about numbers. We needed to send out more intelligence documents whether they were finished or not just to get the numbers up," he said. Pappas was seen as demanding - waking up officers in the middle of the night to get information - but unfocused, ordering analysts to send out rough, uncorroborated interrogation notes. "We were scandalized," Monath said. "We all fought very hard to counter that pressure" including holding up reports in editing until the information could be vetted.

Despite such pressure, intelligence officers at Abu Ghraib estimate that the vast majority of detainees had no valuable information, and many were innocent: In one case, 20 Iraqi professionals from Mosul were swept up in a raid and held for months after being set up by one man who either disliked them or owed them money.

Amid this urgent yet often chaotic quest for information, military intelligence (MI) officers were involved in abuses by ordering detainees stripped naked and paraded before others, intimidated by unmuzzled dogs, or placed in "stress positions" for hours, documents and interviews indicate. Pappas told investigators the idea of using dogs came from Guantanamo's Miller.

Three military intelligence soldiers were fined and demoted after allegedly sexually assaulting a female detainee at Abu Ghraib in October. In November, Monath says MI leaders held a meeting and started to restrict the number of night interrogations, realizing that a lack of supervision had created an opportunity for abuse.

In one death under investigation, a detainee being interrogated by either MI or the CIA in a shower stall at Abu Ghraib died after being severely beaten in the face, according to preliminary testimony by Spc. Jason Kenner of the 372nd Military Police Company. "He was shackled to the wall," Specialist Kenner said. "A battle" ensued between intelligence personnel and the CIA over "who was going to take care of the body," he said.

And in at least one instance late last October or early November, MI personnel were also involved in an apparent attempt to keep abuses secret by hiding five detainees during a Red Cross visit to Abu Ghraib.

There is no question in the minds of MI and MP officers and soldiers interviewed that at least by November, MI brigade commander Pappas had the final say in what went on at Abu Ghraib, not Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, who led the 800th Military Police Brigade. This led to animosity between the two groups, as well as confusion over who did what.

"Everyone knows you're not supposed to abuse [prisoners], but no one tells you how to treat them," said Lt. Joseph La Jeunesse of the Army National Guard's 870th Military Police Company, which served there from October until this spring.

Meanwhile, the entire prison was strained as detainee population passed 7,000 even as the number of MPs was declining. Several detainees escaped. Fights and riots broke out, with one involving over 1,000 detainees throwing rocks and metal and guard towers. After MPs ran out of their supply of nonlethal rubber bullets, they shot and killed at least three detainees while quelling the unrest.