News In Brief

US Industrial output barely rose in March, and a booming homebuilding industry showed signs of leveling off, according to two reports that implied inflation continues to pose no more than a scant threat to the nation's long-running economic expansion. The Federal Reserve reported a 0.1 percent gain in March output, after a 0.3 percent February increase. And the Commerce Department said total starts on single-family homes and apartments fell 1.3 percent in March to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.766 million units, after a 1.6 percent drop in February.

The first effects of the NATO assault on Yugoslavia and the displacement of hundreds of thousands of people from Kosovo were reported by neighboring Balkan economies - most of which already were fragile. Bulgarian officials said their country was losing $1.5 million a day in exports, since its trade routes to Western Europe have been cut by the hostilities. The comparable loss for Romania: $175 million to date. Albania, which has borne the brunt of refugee traffic, told an international bankers' conference in London its gross domestic product for the year would fall from a target of 8 percent growth to as low as 2 percent and that coping with the Kosovo refugees who have crossed the border so far would require at least $800 million in new assistance.

Share this story:

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK