Call it Caveat Renter

If you live in an apartment or rent a house, do you have renter's insurance?

Most renters in the United States have a false notion that personal possessions - computers, furniture, jewelry - are covered under the building owner's insurance. "This is not true," says insurance broker Frank O'Leary in Cambridge, Mass.

If there's a fire or theft, renters are not covered.

Renter's insurance covering the replacement cost of $6,000-worth of valuables is available with yearly premiums as low as $ 85.

Check your local phone book. Most companies offering homeowner's insurance also offer rental policies.

Share this story:

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.