PATRICK BUCHANAN (R)
Birthplace: Washington, D.C.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
Family: Married, no children
Education: BA, Georgetown; MA, Columbia University.
Public Career: Editorial writer at the St. Louis-Post Dispatch; Adviser to Presidents Nixon and Ford; communications director for Reagan; syndicated columnist and TV political commentator.
* Eliminate capital-gains taxes for people making under $50,000, and cut capital-gains taxes in half for those making over $50,000.
* Enforce trade laws by swiftly imposing countervailing duties on nations that dump products at below cost in the US.
* Limit terms for members of congress to eight years.
* Roll back the congressional pay raise by 50 percent.
* Freeze federal hiring and salaries.
* Impose a two-year moratorium on all new federal regulations.