News In Brief

D'Aubuisson wins visa for private visit to US

The State Department said Tuesday it had approved a visa for unsuccessful El Salvadorean presidential candidate Roberto d'Aubuisson to visit the United States.

The State Department had denied Mr. d'Aubuisson a visa in November, saying then that the wrong signal would be sent by issuing a visa to a man who had been accused of death squad activity, whether the accusation was true or false.

State Department spokesman Alan Romberg said there had been no change in policy but said no reason had been found this time to deny the visa request. He refused to elaborate.

He said he understood d'Aubuisson planned a private visit to the United States soon, primarily to Miami, and did not plan to make public appearances or meet US officials.

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK