News In Brief

Hussein disavows support of US-funded strike force

Jordan's King Hussein Saturday said he did not support the idea of a US-equipped Jordanian strike force to help defend pro-American governments in the Gulf region. Reagan administration sources earlier this week said President Reagan would ask Congress for $220 million to equipment a strike force of about 8,000 Jordanian troops.

The King also said Jordan would not go to the aid of friends ''in the name of the United States or any other power.'' Hussein said he opposed stationing US troops in Jordan, emphasizing that ''I have never envisaged the stationing of American troops in Jordan at any time.''

About these ads
Sponsored Content by LockerDome

We want to hear, did we miss an angle we should have covered? Should we come back to this topic? Or just give us a rating for this story. We want to hear from you.

Loading...

Loading...

Loading...

Save for later

Save
Cancel

Saved ( of items)

This item has been saved to read later from any device.
Access saved items through your user name at the top of the page.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You reached the limit of 20 saved items.
Please visit following link to manage you saved items.

View Saved Items

OK

Failed to save

You have already saved this item.

View Saved Items

OK