EXCERPTS FROM THE ADDRESS
* There is renewed energy and optimism throughout the land. America is back - standing tall, looking to the '80s with courage, confidence, and hope.Skip to next paragraph
Subscribe Today to the Monitor
* The heart of America is strong, good, and true. The cynics were wrong - America never was a sick society.
* We must bring federal deficits down, but how we do that makes all the difference. We can begin by limiting the size and scope of government.
* National defense is solely the responsibility of the federal government. It is its prime responsibility; yet defense spending is less than a third of the total budget.
* Our most precious resources, our greatest hope for the future, are the minds and hearts of our people. . . . We can help them build tomorrow by strengthening our community of shared values.
* America was founded by people who believed that God was their rock of safety. . . . I recognize we must be cautious in claiming that God is on our side. But I think it's all right to keep asking if we are on His side.
* People of the Soviet Union, there is only one sane policy, for your country and mine, to preserve our civilization in this modern age: A nuclear war cannot be won and must never be fought.