1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
6 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
28 ounces pizza sauce
1/2 cup water
4 ounces turkey pepperoni, chopped (turkey is less greasy than the other type)
6 large kaiser rolls or 12 smaller hamburger buns, toasted
12 ounces mozzarella cheese slices
1. Cook sausage, ground beef, onion, green pepper, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large skillet until meat is browned, cooked through and crumbled. Drain off as much fat as possible.
2. Add the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, pizza sauce, and water. Stir to mix.
3. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until thick.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped pepperoni.
5. Serve mixture on toasted buns with slices of mozzarella cheese if desired (I microwave my sandwich with the cheese for about 30 seconds.)