Newsroom editorial internships
The Christian Science Monitor is seeking editorial interns with solid journalism skills to write and edit across the Monitor’s various print and online platforms. Applicants will be self-starters, have keen analytical skills, a basic understanding of world events, and an ability to write and edit with clarity and precision.
Duties will include pitching, reporting, and writing stories with angles that strive to bring understanding to divisive topics, show new innovative approaches to a wide range of problems, and highlight areas of progress.
A creative and deft approach and an attention to detail are all requisites. Interns will emerge from their experience as stronger writers able to discern and analyze trends in addition to earning valuable day-to-day experience working with top-notch editors in a dynamic newsroom.
Work Schedule: Paid and academic interns will work Monday through Friday, between 35 to 40 hours a week. Position is based in Boston, Mass.
- Spring internships run from January through the beginning of May. Application deadline is October 15.
- Summer internships run from the end of May through mid August. Application deadline is January 15.
- Fall internships run from September through December. Application deadline is July 15.
To apply, please contact the Internship Manager, and send a résumé, cover letter, and clips to (hard copy only):
The Christian Science Monitor
210 Massachusetts Avenue – P02-30
Boston, MA 02115
Graphic Design Journalist
The Graphics Design Journalist serves the mission of The Christian Science Monitor by bringing a multi-dimensional set of graphic design and journalistic skills to the work of telling stories that inspire and uplift readers. Through a combination of skills – journalism, illustration, UI/UX, web-design, and data-visualization – this key staff member works with other Monitor journalists, product managers, and others across the organization to infuse Monitor story-telling with compelling visuals. Journalism experience is strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborates with editors and writers to produce charts, maps, infographics, and illustrations about news events on daily and weekly deadlines.
- Follows the news closely enough to understand the context and significance of events, and to be able to converse intelligently with editors/writers and to add value to visual storytelling.
- Must collect, understand, and properly format data for chart or map creation.
- Proficiency with professional design software (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Journalism/news or magazine reporting – 1 to 2 years experience
- Strong problem-solving skills and technical aptitude; ability to quickly figure out how to present information – tell a story visually – on a tight deadline.
- Design and page layout training or experience
- Proficiency with geographic information systems (GIS) and creating maps
- Data visualization skills
- The ability to quickly learn and to use new technologies and software to meet deadlines
- Web-based user interface/user experience (UX/UI)
- Multimedia (video) skills and experience preferred but not required.
- BA or Master's degree in journalism and/or graphic design strongly preferred
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervision: Director of Graphics & Multimedia
This position works closely with the director of graphics & multimedia, as well as the editors, writers, and product managers of the daily and weekly editions.
While primarily a production position, the graphics design journalist may also be called upon to participate in innovating on other products published by The Christian Science Publishing Society, including as part of Scrum or Sprint teams.
Position is located in Boston.
The Mother Church membership is preferred.
To apply, please follow this link.