1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Scatter 1/2 finely diced onion in an even layer at the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish or half-sheet pan. 2. Crumble 1 pound of ground beef over the onion. (Use 80/20 ground beef. It makes a difference!)
3. Press the meat into an even layer. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. (I used Old Bay seasoning.)
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes. While the burgers are cooking, divide 7-8 hot dog buns in half. Cut the bottom halves into thirds. Top each piece with a spoonful of special sauce and a dill pickle slice.
5. Once the meat has cooked, remove it from the oven. Pour off any excess juices. Top the meat with slices of American cheese. Place in the oven for another few seconds to melt the cheese.
6. Arrange the tops of the hot dogs buns on top of the meat. Cut through the buns and meat so that each bun is cut into thirds. (A pizza cutter makes a convenient cutting tool.)
7. Pick up each bun and burger portion and place it on top of the prepared bottom buns. Enjoy!
Spicy-As-You-Like-It Special Sauce
1/2 cup mayonaisse
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon dill relish
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Tabasco, to taste
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Combine the mayo, ketchup, dill relish, onion powder, and garlic powder until well blended.
2. Add a few dashes of tabasco sauce, then stir and taste. Continue adding tabasco, as desired. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.