Last updated: November 3, 2017
The Christian Science Monitor (“Monitor”) is a globally-focused news organization headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, USA and operated by The Christian Science Publishing Society, an activity of The First Church of Christ, Scientist. The Monitor publishes a daily digital edition, a print weekly magazine and tablet edition, as well as this daily news website and related mobile applications. In addition, the Monitor sponsors various events, such as the Monitor Breakfast series in Washington, D.C.
- The information we collect and how we collect it;
- What we do with the information we collect;
- Information sharing and disclosure;
- How you can access and update your information;
- How we protect information;
- Linked sites and advertisements;
- Users from outside the United States;
- How to contact us;
- Your California privacy rights;
- No rights of third parties; and
- Changes to this Policy.
How we collect and store information depends on the websites you visit, the activities in which you participate and the Services you use. You can use some of the Services without providing any information other than that automatically collected as described below.
We may collect information about you during your use of the Services, including your name, username, password, e-mail address, postal address, phone number, mobile phone number, payment information, gender, birth year, browser and/or device information and information you provide or post on our Services or allow us to access when you do certain things, such as:
- Enter registration information for one or more of our Services;
- Enter a contest or register for a promotion;
- Participate in voting or polling activities;
- Make a purchase;
- Request certain features (e.g., newsletters, updates, and other products);
- Sign up to receive SMS (text message) notifications;
- Download or use one of our mobile applications;
- Connect with the Services or otherwise allow us to access certain information about you via a social networking site (“SNS”); or
- Post user-generated content to or on any of our Services.
Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. Should you choose to voluntarily disclose information through the Services, such as via SNSs, on message boards, chat areas or in advertising or notices or reader comments you post, that information can be viewed publicly and can be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited messages from other individuals or third parties.
When you use the Services, we, or a data provider we have engaged, may place or access persistent and session cookies, browser storage, and other tracking technologies to: (a) store your username, name, e-mail address, and other profile information; (b) analyze the usage of our sites and Services; (c) customize the Services to your preferences; and (d) control the advertising displayed by the Services. Cookies may reflect de-identified demographic or other data linked to data you voluntarily have submitted to us, e.g., your e-mail address, in hashed, non-human readable form. We and our vendors may also use other Internet technologies, such as Flash technologies, web beacons or pixel tags, and other similar technologies, to deliver or communicate with cookies and track your use of the Services (including to serve you ads when you are on other websites or the Internet when we can access those cookies). We also may include web beacons in e-mail messages or newsletters to determine whether the message has been opened. Web beacons allow us to understand the time and date of when a user has opened an e-mail and when he/she has utilized a link within the e-mail to visit a website. Our web beacons do not collect personally identifiable information. Users wishing to disable web beacons should do so by turning images "off" in their e-mail client (e.g., Outlook, Outlook Express). Please see your e-mail client for more information. As we adopt additional technology, we may also gather additional information through other methods.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser’s toolbar. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Services. Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel.
When using a mobile application you may receive tailored in-application advertisements. Each operating system, iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices provides its own instructions on how to prevent the delivery of tailored in-application advertisements. You may review the support materials and/or the privacy settings for the respective operating systems in order to opt-out of tailored in-application advertisements. For any other devices and/or operating systems, please visit the privacy settings for the applicable device or contact the applicable platform operator.
We may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Services), and may use that information to customize the Services with location-based information, advertising, and features. For example, if you provide a zip code that indicates that you live in Boston, the Services may be customized with Boston-specific information and advertisements. In order to do this, your location information may be passed along to our affiliates, agents, vendors or advertisers. If you access the Services through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details.
We use the information that we collect for the following purposes:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To send you information about your relationship or transactions with us;
- To send you alerts or other communications via SMS messages or other media or networks;
- To notify you about new features of the Services, special events, or products, services, and special offers;
- To administer contests;
- To process and respond to your inquiries;
- To contact you with information that we believe will be of interest to you;
- To attribute content that you make available through the Services;
- To generate and review reports and data about our user base and Service usage patterns;
- To request your feedback or input about the Services through surveys, user testing, or focus groups;
- To analyze the accuracy, effectiveness, usability, or popularity of the Services;
- To improve the content and features of the Services or develop new Services;
- To allow us to personalize the content and advertising that you see on the Services;
- To enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services; and
- To administer and troubleshoot the Services.
The Services are supported by advertising revenue. We will send you commercial e-mail on behalf of ourselves, our affiliates, and advertisers. Each such e-mail we send you will have an opt-out that you can use to stop receiving such communications.
We will make your information available to other companies, websites, applications or people in the circumstances described below:
- We may share your information with any affiliate, agent, or service provider of the Monitor in order to provide the Services or advertising or to conduct surveys, user testing, or focus groups, or to otherwise communicate with you on our behalf.
- When you sign up to participate in a contest, your information may also be provided to our contest advertisers, operators, or sponsors and the use of that information will be also governed by those advertisers’, operators’, or sponsors’ privacy policies or practices.
- We may disclose your information in response to any subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims.
- We may share your information with third-party advertisers and advertising networks or others with which we have a contractual relationship.
- We may disclose your information when we believe it appropriate in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of the Terms of Service for the Services you accessed, and/or to protect our rights and property.
- If you provide us with your postal address when subscribing to the print edition we may include that address in postal address lists that we sell or rent to third parties. If you would like us to stop including your postal address in such lists, please send us a letter addressed to The Christian Science Monitor, P.O. Box 98, Boston, MA 02117-0098, or please e-mail us, requesting that we remove your postal address from these lists.
The Monitor supplies some of its subscriptions and content, such as the Digital Edition and the Historic Archive 1901 - 1980, through third parties. These Services and purchases are processed by third-parties on behalf of Monitor, and such third-parties collect and store billing and credit card information solely to process these purchases. This information will not be used for any other reason except as instructed by the Monitor.
As we continue to develop our business, we may partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, user information may be among the shared assets.
To ensure that you have some control over the information we have about you, you may review and update certain user profile information by logging in to the relevant portions of the Services where such information may be updated (may be available on some Services and not others) or by contacting us at email@example.com.
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect against the unauthorized access, destruction or alteration of your information. Despite our best efforts, however, no security measures are completely impenetrable.
The Services may contain links to third-party websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of those third-party websites.
The Services are not intended for persons under the age of 13. We require that only persons 13 years of age or older use the Services. By using the Services, you hereby represent that you are at least 13 years old. Some third parties, such as platform providers like the iTunes Store or Google Play may provide age-based ratings on some of the Services. These ratings shall have no bearing on this limitation. Third parties may also provide content categories on some of the Services. These categories shall have no bearing on this limitation.
California law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please submit your request in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Do Not Track (DNT) Disclosure: The Christian Science Monitor does not currently respond to DNT signals. DNT differs from cookies. For information about cookies, please see the section above on “Cookies and other electronic technologies.”