2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
16 to 20 ounces quartered white mushrooms
1-1/3 cups cooked pumpkin puree or cooked winter squash puree (not pie filling)
28 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (1 tsp for spicier)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (16 ounce) cans tri-color beans or other beans, such as kidney beans, black beans, red beans
1. Sauté onion in olive oil until transparent.
2. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook until mushrooms soften.
3. Stir in the pumpkin puree, crushed tomatoes, broth, chili powder, cumin, chipotle pepper, salt, pepper, and the liquid from the cans of beans.
4. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Uncover pot and simmer 30 minutes more, stirring occasionally or until fairly thick.
6. Stir in the drained beans and simmer 10-15 minutes more, or until chili is heated through.