Parent company Procter & Gamble has issued a recall of several lots of Iams and Eukanuba dry pet food that could be contaminated with salmonella and were distributed nationwide. So far, no illnesses have been reported as a result of the recall.
“The affected product was distributed to select retailers across the United States,” a statement on the Food and Drug Administration’s recalls website reads. “These products were made during a 10-day window at a single manufacturing site. P&G’s routine testing determined that some products made during this timeframe have the potential for Salmonella contamination, No other dry dog food, dry cat food, dog or cat canned wet food, biscuits/treats or supplements are affected by this announcement.”
The affected lots of food have “Best by” dates between Nov. 6, 2014, and Nov. 14, 2014.
Pet owners who have purchased one of the recalled products listed below should throw it out and contact P&G at 800-208-0172 (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time), or via website at www.iams.com or www.eukanuba.com. For specific lot numbers and UPC codes, visit the announcement on the FDA’s recalls website, here. Photos of the food packages included can be seen here.
The Eukanuba dry dog food types include:
The Iams dry dog food types include:
- Healthy Naturals Chicken Adult (2.9, 5, 13.3, and 25.7 pound bags)
- Healthy Naturals Weight Control Adult (13.3 pounds)
- Premium Protection Chicken Adult (12.1 pounds)
- ProActive Health Large Breed Mature Adult (30 pounds)
- ProActive Health Large Breed Senior Plus (13.3 and 26.2 pounds)
- ProActive Health Large Chunks Adult (15 pounds)
- ProActive Health Small Breed Adult (3.1, 5, and 13.3 pounds)
- ProActive Health Small Breed Puppy (5 pounds)
The Iams dry cat food types include:
- Healthy Naturals Chicken Adult (5 and 16 pounds)
- Healthy Naturals Weight Control Adult (5 pounds)
- ProActive Health Chicken Adult (3.2, 5.7, 10.8, and 17.4 pounds)
- ProActive Health Chicken Kitten (3.2, 5.7, and 17.4 pounds)
- ProActive Health Digestive Care Adult (3,5, and 16 pounds)
- ProActive Health Hairball Adult (3.1, 5, 9.8, and 16 pounds)
- ProActive Health Hairball Mature Adult (5 pounds)
- ProActive Health Weight Control & Hairball Adult (2.9, 5, 5.5, 9.8, and 16 pounds)
- ProActive Health Weight Control Adult (5, 9.8, and 16 pounds)
- Professional Feeding Bag Chicken Adult (33 pounds)
Editor's note: An earlier version of this story misspelled "Procter" in "Procter & Gamble." The error has been corrected.