The Washington Navy Yard campus was placed on lockdown Thursday amid reports of gunshots in the same building where 12 people were killed during a shooting rampage in 2013. Officials have since issued the "all clear" after finding no credible evidence of a threat, ABC news reported.
Officials say the reports were about the same building where a gunman killed 12 workers two years ago.
A federal official says a surveillance video showed two people jumping the fence next to the building a couple of minutes before the first report of the shots. The official added that security searched the building and found no one inside.
There have been no reports of injuries at the country’s oldest naval installation.
Facilities specialist Chris Robertson told the Associated Press that the alarm inside his building went off around 7:30 a.m. and people were told over the speaker to shelter in place. He added that three minutes later his supervisor called and asked him and two co-workers to leave.
Mr. Robertson said he didn't notice anything unusual Thursday morning and everything was normal.
According to an official the building has been largely emptied and civilian and military law enforcement officers are present on the scene. An official said no one has been found in the building.
Previously the Associated Press reported that the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are also present at Navy Yard campus.
in September 2013 former navy electrician Aaron Alexis slaughtered 12 people at the same building where Thursday's incident occurred.
Soon after the shooting, Department of Defense inspector general published a report detailing “critical flaws” in base security at Navy installations. Following the report, US Department of Defense announced it will review security at all military installations.
This report contains material from the Associated Press.