2 lb. head of cauliflower
1 onion, sliced into wedges
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup fresh mint, chopped
Citrus Cashew Dressing (recipe to follow)
Hemp Seed “Breadcrumbs” (recipe to follow)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in a single layer on 1-2 baking sheets. Add the onion wedges and sprinkle with olive oil.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes. Turning once during the last 10 minutes.
4. Place the cauliflower in a large salad bowl. Toss with raisins and mint.
5. Drizzle with Citrus Cashew Dressing and sprinkle with hemp seed bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
Citrus cashew dressing
1/2 cup cashews, soaked in 1 cup of water
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons each, olive oil and red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup, honey or agave (adjust to taste)
1 garlic clove minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 teaspoon each orange rind and lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon salt and fresh ground pepper
1. Soak the cashews for 1 hour.
2. Drain the cashews.
3. Add the cashews and all the remaining ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth. Stop the blender from time to time to push the cashews that splatter along the side of the blender back down to get the entire mixture smooth. This will take 5 – 10 minutes. It depends on the power of your blender.
Note: This recipe will stiffen after refrigerated. If you find the consistency too thick, you can thin it with a couple tablespoons of water.
Hemp seed “breadcrumbs”
I used hemp hearts (raw shelled hemp seeds) from Costco. They’re a good deal and at least for me, relatively local, being grown in Manitoba. If you have a nut allergy, they are a good replacement in pestos as in this one here, and make a great addition to smoothies.
3 tablespoons hemp hearts
1/2 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (I use La Chinata)
Scant 1/4 teaspoon salt