Move over, Black Friday! Presidents' Day weekend is here, and the sales are set to be just as good (or better!) than their Black Friday equivalents. So how should you prepare for this weekend shopping bonanza? Here are our tips for scoring (and saving) big during Presidents Day sales.
1. Shop Early
Like Black Friday sales, most Presidents' Day deals start early--in fact, many sales are already going on right now! If you want to make sure you get the best deal possible, don't wait until Monday to start shopping, or you might find what you want is out of stock.
2. Refresh Your Winter (and Workout) Closet
February is typically the month clothing retailers try and get rid of their winter stuff to make room for new spring fashions, so Presidents' Day is a good time to stock up on cold-weather clothing and footwear. We also expect to see prices slashed on workout clothes and shoes, so if you've been slacking on your New Years fitness resolutions due to lack of quality equipment, it's time to stop making excuses and get yourself the gear you need to succeed. Here are a few of our favorite sales on apparel you can shop this weekend:
- 6pm -- TBD
- JCPenney -- $10 off $25 or more (code ONLINE) or 20% off $100 or more (code SHOPPIN) and 30-50% off home goods through February 16.
- Joe's New Balance Outlet -- TBD
- Nordstrom -- 40% off select items through February 22.
- Macy's -- 20-50% off select styles, free shipping on orders over $75, and an extra 20% off with code PRES through February 16.
- Sears -- Up to 80% off clearance items online with code CLEAR30, extra 10-15% off clothing and sleepwear with code ADORE,
- Sports Authority -- Up to 60% off select items, and free shipping on orders of $49 or more.
- Walmart -- Markdowns on home goods, auto & tires, electronics, sporting goods, clothing and more!
3. Furniture Sales Abound
Maybe your dining room table is wobbly, maybe your bed is squeaky, or maybe the dog had an irreversible accident on your living room couch. Whatever the reason, if you're in need of new furniture, this is the weekend to get it. IKEA typically has a blowout Presidents' Day sale with a free Swedish breakfast to boot, Sears is taking 30 percent off a big selection of appliances, Ashley Furniture is offering a store-wide 20 percent off or no interest until January 2020, and Overstock has select home goods for up to 70 percent off! If you're in need of office furniture or supplies, both Staples and OfficeMax/Office Depot usually boast big discounts on Presidents' Day too.
4. Expect Doorbusters on High-End Electronics
"February is a great time for higher-end electronics," said Brad's Deals outreach coordinator, Sean Graw. "It's kind of the opposite of Black Friday, where you see a lot of doorbusters on low-end electronics, but not much of a discount on the good stuff." If you're in the market for a brand name HDTV, laptop, smartphone, or even a new appliance, start shopping now.
Electronics retailer hhgregg is currently hosting a sale of up to 30 percent off all appliances, TVs and furniture through February 21, and in addition to that, Best Buyusually has across-the-board discounts, and our poor, bankrupt friends at RadioShack will likely be having colossal sales on top of their Presidents Day discounts at all the stores they're closing.
Make sure you check out Amazon for lower prices before you buy anything, and don't forget to take advantage of price-match policies!