If you haven't noticed, National Doughnut Day has kept www.dunkindonuts.com so busy its server sometimes screeches to halt and hungry Americans are left wondering, Is it true? I can get a free doughnut today, Friday, June 3, 2011?
Yes, it is true.
According to Yahoo!, women seem to be the most interested in National Doughnut Day (big surprise) with 69 percent of searches for “free donut” coming from women and only 31 percent from men.
The Top Searched Doughnut Shops in 2011:
1. Dunkin’ Donuts (National)
2. Krispy Kreme Donuts (National)
3. Winchell’s Donuts (National)
4. Voodoo Doughnuts (Portland)
5. Top Pot Doughnuts (Seattle)
7. Stan’s Donuts (Los Angeles)
8. Shipley’s Do-nuts (Southern States)
9. Randy’s Donuts (Los Angeles)
10. Old Fashioned Donuts (Chicago)
11. Holey Donuts ( http://www.holeydonuts.net/), an online shop that specializes in low-fat/low calorie donuts.
Everyone loves a treat: In the past few years more places have started giving out free doughnuts and people across the country are catching on. Searches for “free donut” on Yahoo! were up more than 3,500 percent in June 2010 compared to June 2009. While, June can claim the holiday, the fall months can claim the biggest doughnut buzz. The fall season seems to be the most popular time of year for the breakfast treats with November leading the year with the most general “donuts” searches, followed by October. Other doughnut-related search spikes on Yahoo! include “calories in donuts,” “donut recipes” and “gluten free donuts” and “how to make donuts.”
Top Seasonal Searches for Doughnuts include:
- Hannukkah Donuts/Sufganiot
- Beignets (especially around Fat Tuesday)
- Polish Paczki (eaten on Fat Tuesday as well)
- Fat Tuesday Donuts
- Is Dunkin’ Donuts Open on Christmas?
What states search the most on Yahoo! for the term “donuts” this month?:
9. New York
Source: Yahoo! Search Data (on Twitter: @YahooSearchData)