Danny Heitman is an award-winning columnist for The Baton Rouge Advocate and a member of The Advocate's editorial board.
He frequently contributes commentaries to national publications, including The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, The Los Angeles Times and Smithsonian. Danny has also appeared on NPR and the BBC.
He's the author of "A Summer of Birds: John James Audubon at Oakley House," which was adapted into a documentary for public television. The book chronicles a pivotal season in the life of the world’s most famous bird artist.
Danny has also written about parenting for FamilyFun and Child magazines.
Danny is married and has two children, 12-year-old Will and 17-year-old Eve. He lives in Baton Rouge.
Stories by Danny Heitman
- I find plenty of news in old books
- Review Poet Ted Kooser’s ‘Red Stilts’: Beauty in small moments
- Review Egg poacher runs amok in thrilling true story ‘The Falcon Thief’
- Review Henry Ford and Thomas Edison steered Americans toward a love of road trips
- Review Rudyard Kipling loved Vermont. Then he had to leave it.
- View all