How many of these words can you guess? They all have at least one silent letter. A silent letter is needed to spell the word correctly, but it isn't pronounced. We have given you the silent letter in each word to help you figure them out. (Note: silent e's are not considered silent here since they help vowels say their names.)
1. A king may live in one of these. Some people call it a palace. It is also a piece on a chessboard that is also known as a rook.
_ _ _ t _ _
2. This comes after Tuesday and before Thursday.
_ _ d _ _ _ _ _ _
3. This man was the 16th president of the United States. He is famous for his tall hat, the Emancipation Proclamation, and the Gettysburg Address. This name is also the capital of Nebraska, and it's part of the state slogan of Illinois.
_ _ _ _ _ l _
4. This is the smallest state in the US. It has two silent letters. It was among the original 13 Colonies. (2 words)
_ h _ _ _ _ s _ _ _ _
5. This person can install and repair pipes, faucets, and other bathroom or kitchen fixtures.
_ _ _ _ b _ _
4. Rhode Island