Think our testing's rough?
Students in Saline County, Kansas, in 1895 had to pass an exam including the following questions to graduate from 8th grade. (Coming soon, Saline County's 1892 teacher guidelines.)
1. Give nine rules for the use of Capital Letters.
2. Name the Parts of Speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define Verse, Stanza and Paragraph.
4. What are the Principal Parts of a verb? Give Principal Parts of do, lie, lay and run.
5. What is Punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of Punctuation.
1. What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
3. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall, and Orinoco.
4. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
5. Describe the movements of the earth. Give inclination of the earth.
1. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
2. If a load of wheat weights 3942 lbs., what is it worth at 50 cts. Per bu., deducting 1050 lbs for tare?
3. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 per cent.
4. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance around which is 640 rods?
5. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.
1. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
2. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
3. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
4. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
5. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865.
1. Where are the saliva, gastric juice, and bile secreted? What is the use of each in digestion?
2. How does nutrition reach the circulation?
3. What is the function of the liver? Of the kidneys?
4. How would you stop the flow of blood from an artery in the case of laceration?
5. Give some general directions that you think would be beneficial to preserve the human body in a state of health.
1. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
2. What are the following, and give examples of each: Trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals?
3. Give four substitutes for caret "u".
4. Use the following correctly in sentences: Cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
5. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: Card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.