High school sociology
* The Abercrombies - preps.
* The Bookworms - the academics.
* The DeSantos - a group of about 40 senior boys who call fellow senior Dan DeSanto "their little god." This group pretty much rules the school.
* The Earthy Girls - girls who eschew makeup and care about the environment.
* The G's - boys, mostly African-American, who wear baggy pants and inner-city styles. This has racist overtones.
* The Goths - students who dress all in black, wear dramatic hair and makeup, and sulk around school.
* The Jocks - the athletes.
*The OP - the Oriental Posse, the large contingency of Asians who, for the most part, do incredibly well in school. This is derogatory.
* The Ravers - a new group that evolved from skaters. "They like to party and are into the drug scene," says one student.
"We're so suburbia."
"That's such a preemie scene," referring to underclassmen.
"I really thought that was broke." That was uncool.
"That's so ghetto." Also uncool.
"I don't want to slag anyone down." I don't want to insult anyone.
"Words don't bother me," used when you're being badmouthed.
"We usually just hoop and hang out."
To "play smoke" is to smoke cigarettes.
A common, and sarcastic, name for Naperville: "Naperthrill".
"Friends with benefits" - friends who get intimate without dating.
"The Cult" - Abercrombie & Fitch.
"ber-senior" - fifth-year senior.
(c) Copyright 2000. The Christian Science Publishing Society