MAJOR SOCIAL SERVICES AVAILABLE TO PEOPLE IN NEED IN BERKSHIRE COUNTY
* Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): a federal food-assistance program for low-income pregnant women or with children under 5. (Example: a pregnant woman with a small child receives about $240 a month to buy nutritious food, and more if baby formulas needed).
* Supplemental Security Income (SSI): a federal program for people 65 or older, blind, or disabled.
* Commodity Food Program: a federal food- assistance program offered four times a year. (Example: a family of four gets a single allotment including foods such as peanut butter, canned meat, fruits and vegetables, juices, and flour.) * Food Stamps: a federal program providing designated nutritional foods from participating stores. (Example: a single mother with two children receives about $200 a month per child.)
* Aid To Families with Dependent Children (AFDC): a federal program with payments based on the size of a family. (Example: a single mother with two children receives $539 a month for rent for public housing).
* Rent Subsidies: local programs that pay 70 percent of rent.
* Fuel Assistance: a locally administered program to help pay heating bills.